Drive Southwest FC Chippenham Youth Team Sponsorship – Results

Oct 27 • Uncategorized • 1088 Views • No Comments on Drive Southwest FC Chippenham Youth Team Sponsorship – Results

As part of Drive Southwest’s sponsorship of FC Chippenham youth, We’ll bring you the match report after every game……


FC Chippenham 5 v Highworth Town Juniors J 4

Well this was a game that had everything, two good sides playing end to end football, a three goal lead thrown away and a great fight back.

We got off to the perfect start and did not give the visitors Highworth a chance to settle into the game and have put their goal under some pressure we took the lead after just 5 minutes.  Some good play around the penalty area saw the ball lay off for Caine to strike the ball beautifully past the keeper from about 20 yards.

Two minutes later we had doubled the lead, a great ball through to Alex Cook was chased down and Alex was able to slot the ball home passed the keeper.  We seemed to be getting some good build up down the wings and Highworth were not able to deal with the pace we had in these areas.

The perfect start was completed in the 12th minute when Ash Alchin ran onto a through ball and was able to send it over the advancing Highworth keeper.

Having had what can only be described as the perfect start we seemed to switch off a little with a three goal lead and this gave Highworth a way back into the game and they had a twelve minute spell of their own.

Their first goal had a touch of fortune as they attacked through the middle the ball went out to the left edge of the area and as the defence and keeper closed it down the cross back into the area took a deflection of the FC Chippenham defender and took the ball passed the outstretched arm of Conor in goal.

The goal  certainly gave the visitors some encouragement as they seemed to be the first to all the loose balls, and we started to defend a little deeper than we had been, in the twenty first minute they got their second of the game getting some joy of their own down the right wing.

The game was level in the 27th minute of the first half and two minutes later Highworth had completed a remarkable comeback and took the lead and we had let a lead slip away not for the first time this season.

The boys showed some spirit and did not capitulate having lost the lead and just after the half hour mark, Ciaran Webster pulled us level.

Having seen eight first half goals, the second half was a little less frantic on the score line.  Whilst the goals were not flying in both teams tested each other out and both defences stood firm.  However, when the defences were beaten both keepers could not be beaten.  The winning goal came in the 73rd minute and also came with a little confusion.  A goal mouth scramble saw the ball fired against the bar and come down, but was it over the line.  Our boys were convinced that the ball had crossed the line and whilst play continued for a few seconds, the referee consulted with the Assistant provided by Highworth who confirmed that the shot from Luke Price had indeed crossed the goal line and the goal was awarded.

Having taken the lead again we held on for the final seven minutes and withstood the pressure from Highworth to take the three points.

All I can say was this was a very entertaining match, played by two very good sides.  We may have taken the points this weekend, but I am sure Highworth will be out to get something from next week’s game when we do it all again away from home.                                                                                                                                             .vs highworth 3 (home) vs highworth 2 (home) vs highworth 1 (home)

Related Posts

« »